The European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Academic Coordinator for the academic year 2004/05.
The position, which is being posted at the level of university professor or senior researcher, involves a combination of teaching, organisation, and various academic and practical responsibilities connected with the E.MA programme. Working under the instructions of the E.MA and EIUC governing bodies and in cooperation with the EIUC Secretary General, the candidate selected will assume primary responsibility for the academic coordination of the E.MA programme a.y. 2004/05. He or she will furthermore be involved in the development of new academic and research-based activities in the context of the EIUC.
Functions and tasks
The Academic Coordinator will work as member of the permanent EIUC staff, based in Venice - the Lido. Tasks will include the following:
1. To coordinate the advanced planning of the E.MA programme;
2. To oversee in the daily management of the E.MA programme with a view to maintaining the excellent standards and academic coherence of the first semester courses;
3. To establish advance contact with academic responsibles, lecturers and experts, and assist the academic responsibles and other lecturers in carrying out the scientific and educational programme;
4. To supervise and coordinate Teaching Assistants in the performance of their tasks;
5. To organise and teach a seminar introducing one of the core disciplines (law, political science, international relations) of the E.MA programme;
6. To set up and lead working groups and workshops incorporated in the academic programme;
7. To oversee the assessment of student assignments;
8. To exercise a proactive role in identifying and rectifying problems of an academic nature;
9. To take a proactive role in the development of additional academic activities in the context of the EIUC; this may include initiating and facilitating research collaboration, academic publication, and the organisation of training courses, seminars and conferences.
Doctorate in a relevant discipline (e.g. law, political science, international relations), teaching experience, good publication record, team-working ability, administrative experience. Excellent knowledge of English; proficiency in French.
The selected candidate will be expected to take up the position as soon as possible and no later than August 1st, 2004. The appointment is of a duration of 12 months with the possibility of renewal.
Salary negotiable, depending on qualifications.
Deadline for sending applications is March 31, 2004 .
Please send a cover letter and a curriculum vitae in English to the EIUC Secretary General, Monastery of San Nicolò, Riviera San Nicolò 26, Lido-Venezia 30126, Italy, by fax at: 0039-041-2720914, or by e-mail: email@example.com
Please note: the filling of the above position is contingent upon approval of funding by the European Commission.