26 September 2010: E.MA Awarding Ceremony
The official Ceremony for the Awarding of Diplomas to the Master’s students concluding the academic year 2009/2010 was held in the beautiful Scuola Grande di San Rocco in Venice on Sunday 26 September 2010, at 16h00.
Welcome messages were given by:
- Prof. Giorgio ORSONI, Mayor, Municipality of Venice,
- Amb. Laura MIRACHIAN, Permanent Representative to the UN, Geneva, who read a message from Franco Frattini, Italian Ministrer of Foreign Affairs,
- Prof. Carlo CARRARO, Rector, Cà Foscari University of Venice,
- Judge Felipe GONZALEZ, President, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights,
- Prof. Dr. Horst FISCHER, EIUC President,
- Ing. Demetrio SONAGLIONI, Vicar, Scuola Grande di San Rocco,
- Mr. Giorgos KOSMOPOULOS, President, E.MAlumni Association.
Mr. Morten KJAERUM, Director of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA), delivered the keynote speech on “The Fundamental Rights Agency and the promotion of human rights in Europe ”.
The Ceremony awarded the Joint Diploma of European Master’s in Human Rights and Democratisation to E.MA laureates – coming from 33 countries – of the 2009/2010 course and opened the academic year 2010/2011 of the E.MA by welcoming 90 new students coming from all of Europe and abroad.
Similarly to previous years, the Ceremony had the students at its centre and was attended by the representatives of all EIUC and E.MA participating universities, as well as of the international organisations and local government authorities that actively support the programme, notably the European Union, the Region of Veneto, the Municipality of Venice, UNESCO, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, the Council of Europe, OSCE and ODIHR, and the German Agency for Technical Cooperation GTZ.
Download here the programme of the Ceremony and associated events and the map to reach the Scuola Grande di San Rocco.