7/6/2013: International Legal Conference ‘20 years of Lithuania‘s Membership in the Council of Europe: Lessons and Prospects’
Just a couple of weeks before the start of the Lithuanian Presidency of the Council of the European Union, Vilnius University, EIUC and the European Community Studies Association-Lithuania are happy to announce the International Legal Conference ‘Twenty years of Lithuania‘s Membership in the Council of Europe: Lessons and Prospects’ that will take place in Vilnius on 7 June 2013.
The Conference will be opened by
- Mr. Thorbjørn Jagland, Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- Mr. Gediminas Šerkšnys, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Lithuania at the Council of Europe
- Prof. Jūras Banys, Rector of Vilnius University.
The Chair of the Conference is Prof. Dainius Žalimas (Head of the Institute of International and European Union Law of Vilnius University and E.MA National Director for Lithuania).
The Conference will address topical issues related to the role of the Council of Europe and its impact on the development of the legal system of the Republic of Lithuania, such as:
- safeguarding human rights in the implementation of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and the European Social Charter
- protection of the rights of national minorities
- regulation of citizenship
- fight against discrimination and intolerance, etc.
Prof. Fabrizio Marrella (Dean of the Human Rights Village and Professor at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice), and Assoc. Prof. Artūrs Kučs (Head of the Department of International Law of the University of Latvia and E.MA National Director for Latvia) will be among the numerous speakers of this conference that will gather representatives from the European Court of Human Rights, the Venice Commission of the Council of Europe, as well as researchers from Vilnius University, Mykolas Romeris University and other foreign universities.
Download here the programme of the event.