Vacancy Announcement: EIUC Freelance Communication Officer
The European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) located in Venice is an academic centre of excellence supported by the EU, aiming at pursuing the continued promotion of human rights and democratisation through education, specialised training, and research cooperation.
EIUC is seeking a qualified Freelance Communications Officer
Functions and tasks
The Communications Officer’s main objective will be to take care of EIUC’s external communications, press work and public relations, with a view to maintain and develop EIUC’s visibility, reputation, and attractiveness among international academic institutions. He / she will do so by implementing EIUC’s communication and marketing strategy by working in liaison with the colleagues focusing on web development, design/graphics, and on-line advertising.
Communications Officer’s tasks shall include:
- Advertising: He/she should be able to act as link between EIUC and different communication agencies for advertising purposes; he/she must be able to ensure that the advertising projects and activities, according to EIUC objectives, are completed on time and on budget;
- Editing & Writing: drafting of texts to be used for different communication purposes - on-line advertising, on-line or printed promotional materials/publications, news or bulletins - which are able to communicate effectively with EIUC’s intended audience and to shape EIUC’s institutional and activity-specific identity;
- Press work: developing and distributing news releases and responding to media inquiries, taking care of press contacts, planning for news conferences, prepare for media interviews, develop messages to deliver to stakeholders both at the local and international level;
- Social media: taking care of the dissemination of all EIUC activities through the social networks where the organisation is currently present (FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.), further development of EIUC’s profile on social media. This work shall be done in collaboration with the staff responsible for web development and on-line advertising;
- Marketing: implementing, in coordination with the Communications department, EIUC’s marketing strategy and priorities;
- Public Relations: building or nurturing relationships with current or potential institutional partners and customers (international/national/local; IGOs and NGOs); networking in an academic environment (participation in promotional events or fairs, facilitating visits to EIUC for presentations, organisation of promotional events);
- Publications: editing of internal or external publications which EIUC may consider launching/producing.
- Knowledge of branding principles, marketing and visibility tactics through multimedia;
- Sound written and verbal communications skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills;
- A native level of English, including drafting ability which shall meet standards of editorial consistency;
- Knowledge of Italian;
- Efficient use of the most important Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experienced use of Content Management Systems;
- Experienced use of Adobe Creative Suite CS6 in particular InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Sound critical thinking skills.
- Creative and visionary leadership with the ability to drive a high volume of work to completion.
- Experience in academic environment
- Knowledge/interest in human rights and democratisation topics
The successful candidate with a freelance status and will be solely responsible for his/her own insurance, social security payments, taxation and VAT.
Candidates should be ready to start as soon as possible.
Application and selection procedure
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5 September 2015 at 6 pm (CET).
Please send a cover letter, a detailed curriculum vitae, and a portfolio or on-line links to past works to the EIUC Secretary General (email@example.com), and in CC to firstname.lastname@example.org