VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: EIUC Secretary General
The European Inter–University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) is an interdisciplinary centre formed by 41 universities from all European Union Member States. It is founded on a commitment to the realisation of the values enshrined in the European Union Charter of Fundamental Rights, the promotion of high-level inter-disciplinary human rights education, research, training and culture, and a shared global understanding of human rights and democracy. EIUC is located in Venice, Italy.
Supported by the European Union and working with intergovernmental, non-governmental, regional and local partners EIUC’s activities include:
- Providing high level action-oriented and interdisciplinary education for students worldwide;
- Hosting summer schools and summer academies to enhance to enhance the human rights knowledge at graduate and research level.
- Developing advanced training with a view to meeting operational requirements for senior officials of international organisations, field personnel, and other human rights professionals;
- Managing the Global Campus network with their Master’s programmes on five continents and financed by the European Union
- Identifying processes and means of transferring academic and institutional expertise into the public sphere, e.g. through the visual arts and mass media;
- Creating a fertile environment for research and research cooperation and the transformation of results into realistic policies;
- Representing a network of more than 1500 graduates of the European Master’s Degree in Human Rights and Democratisation now working for governments, major international organisations, and non-governmental organisations in and outside
The Centre has presently a staff of a total of 13 employees
Functions and tasks
The Secretary-General will be responsible for the management of the Centre. Subject to the instructions given by the President of the Centre as his/her principal, the Secretary-General's responsibilities include:
a) to represent EIUC at meetings at the international, regional and national level when required;
b) to organize high-level meetings, seminars and conferences, in Venice and internationally;
c) to monitor and co-ordinate the activities of the Centre's employees;
d) to implement the decisions taken by the Centre's governing bodies and to take care of the process of the deliberations Board of Administrators, of the Assembly and the Global Campus Council;
e) to oversee the drafting of documents to be submitted to public agencies and private entities, national and international, for instance grant applications, such as the request for grants addressed to the European Union;
f) to take part in, with consultative status, and keep the records of the meetings of the Assembly and the Board of Administrators;
g) to perform any other specific act conferred to him/her by an ad hoc decision of the Board of Administrators;
h) to oversee human resources and other staff issues
EIUC is presently developing a new vision as basis to further develop its profile, its programmes and activities in cooperation with the member universities. Leadership is required to implement the vision in cooperation with the member universities. EIUC is seeking an outstanding candidate with the following skills and experience:
- A Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. law, political science, international relations, humanities);
- Comprehensive knowledge of international human rights and democratisation issues;
- Familiarity with EU Institutions, including knowledge funding procedures and requirements;
- Senior management experience in a national or international institution; demonstrated personnel management and project management skills;
- Proven track record in the design and organisation of educational training seminars is an advantage;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and experience with the media;
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Italian will be an asset;
- Strong financial management and fundraising abilities;
Terms of employment
- The selected candidate will be expected to take up the position in December 2015, or as soon as possible thereafter. It is expected that the Secretary General will live in Venice and will work full-time for EIUC.
- EIUC offers a competitive salary.
The Search Committee for this post invites applications from qualified candidates, as well as suggestions for suitable candidates who might be approached.
Deadline for sending applications is 24 October midnight, 2015.
Invitations for interviews (short-listed candidates only) will be sent with 10 days. Interviews of invited candidates will take place in Venice on November 7, 2015
More information may be obtained from the EIUC President, Prof. Dr. Horst Fischer, firstname.lastname@example.org tel. +491717801864 after 6 pm
To apply, please send a cover letter and a curriculum vitae in English as pdf file addressed to Prof. Dr. Horst Fischer, Monastery of San Nicolò, Riviera San Nicolò 26, Venezia-Lido 30126, Italy, by email to email@example.com with the subject: EIUC Secretary General
Please note: the filling of the above position is contingent upon approval of funding by the European Commission and a decision of the EIUC Assembly.