Vacancy – Teaching Fellow 2014/2015 Master in Democratic Governance
The European Inter-University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) is looking to appoint a highly qualified individual specialised in the field Democratic Governance and Human Rights as Teaching Fellow of the Master Programme in Democratic Governance - Democracy and Human Rights in the MENA Region for the 2014/2015 academic year in Venice-Lido, Italy.
The assignment is for a period of eight months, from 1st December 2014 to 31st July 2015, with the possibility of renewal subject to performance and funding.
Functions and tasks
The Teaching Fellow will work as a member of the academic and administrative unit of the Master Programme in Democratic Governance - Democracy and Human Rights in the MENA Region in cooperation with the Administrative Assistant and under the supervision of the Programme Director. The position involves a combination of academic and administrative responsibilities connected with the Programme. Tasks will include the following:
1. To act as a continuous academic resource reference for students. This task can be further specified as follows:
- To assist students in developing their Master’s Thesis research proposals to be presented in view of the choice of the second semester university;
- To provide tuition for single students or groups of students in need of specific learning support.
2. To perform administrative tasks related to the master’s programme and the external lecturers coming to Venice over the period of the first semester. This task can be further specified as follows:
- To assist and liaise with the academic responsibles and other lecturers in the first semester in order to implement the scientific and educational programme;
- To organise, under the supervision of the Programme Director, the procedure for the distribution of students in the second semester universities;
- To organise, handle and constantly update the e-learning environment.
3. To perform autonomous teaching and marking of first semester curriculum units. This task can be further specified as follows:
- To organise and teach rolling seminars introducing basic concepts of human rights law, democracy (about 15 hours of teaching time);
- To teach special sessions in preparation of the exam;
- To assess student assignments and perform marking activities under the supervision of the Programme Director;
- To set up and lead working groups and workshops incorporated in the academic programme;
- To teach specialised classes upon request of the academic responsibles and the Programme Director.
4. To assist the Programme Director in the academic and administrative planning of the second semester and the following academic year. This task can be further specified as follows:
- To carry out analysis and critical evaluation of the Programme 2014/15;
- To prepare information materials, in particular by updating the database of second semester universities;
- To assist in the development of the curriculum for the academic year 2014/2015;
- To assist in the advertisement campaign of Master 2015/2016;
- To participate in the update of EIUC database and in the update and development of the Master in the social networks.
5. To report regularly to the Programme Director, EIUC Secretary General and Governing Bodies about the above mentioned activities.
The Teaching Fellow should possess and demonstrate the following:
- PhD (completed or near completion) with specific focus on Human Rights and Democratic Governance;
- Experience in teaching and working with academics in an international environment;
- Excellent communication, diplomatic and group management skills;
- Solid mentoring abilities and understanding of the needs and concerns of peers and students;
- Collegiality and willingness to work as part of a team;
- Strong proven organisational and time management skills;
- Excellent knowledge of English including drafting ability. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset;
- Very good knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- Good knowledge of Adobe Professional (preparing and editing PDFs), Moodle (Virtual Learning Environment) and other IT-related applications;
- Knowledge of website editing and social networking;
Salary and Location
The gross salary will be between €2.100 and €2.300 per month.
This position is based at EIUC premises in Venice-Lido, Italy. The selected candidate will also have to travel if the organisation of the Master will require it.
Application and selection procedure
The closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 10 November 2014.
Please send a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae and two recommendation letters to EIUC Secretary General, Florence Benoit-Rohmer, (email@example.com), and the Administrative Assistant, Caterina Assenti (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Short listing will be completed in November and interviews will take place by Skype in November.