Venice School of Human Rights and Sakharov Fellowship 2016
The European Inter-University Centre of Human Rights and Democratisation (EIUC) is glad to be included by the European Parliament as an essential part of the Sakharov Fellowship Programme which will take place from 20 June to 2 July 2016.
The Sakharov Prize Network initiated the Fellowship to enhance the capacity of individuals to defend human rights and thus to promote the freedom of thought as the underpinning value of the Sakharov Prize.
- training in the European Parliament in Brussels from 19-23 June 2016 developing understanding of the EU's human rights policies and instruments, communications and social media and accessing human rights funding, as well as discussing issues with MEPs, EU officials and NGOs;
- a place on the Venice School of Human Rights organised by the European Inter- University Centre for Human Rights and Democratisation from 24 June - 2 July 2016, which delivers world class teaching in human rights law and practice by leading practitioners. This will give the Fellow the opportunity to work alongside other human rights activists as well as to be taught by a Sakharov Laureate;
- the opportunity to publish an article on a human rights issue on the European Parliament Sakharov Prize Network website and/or elsewhere;
- the opportunity to develop human rights training materials for use in the Fellow's region;
- accommodation in Venice and Brussels, return travel from country of origin and a daily living allowance;
- the opportunity to join a network of Sakharov Fellows.
In particular, the objectives of the Sakharov Fellowship are:
- to increase Fellows' capacity to advocate for and effect positive change to protect human rights;
- to disseminate human rights training more widely through the Fellow training other human rights defenders in their region;
- to create a network of Sakharov Fellows who can share best practice and advocate on each other's behalf;
- to further improve links between MEPs and human rights defenders; and
- to extend awareness of the Sakharov Prize and Sakharov Prize Network.
Call for applications - Sakharov Fellowship 2016